A cataract is a clouding of the normally clear lens of your eye. For people who have cataracts, seeing through cloudy lenses is a bit like looking through a frosty or fogged-up window. Clouded vision caused by cataracts can make it more difficult to read, drive a car (especially at night) or see the expression on a friend's face.Cataracts are the cause of half of blindness and 33% of visual impairment worldwide.
Cataracts are most commonly due to aging but may also occur due to trauma or radiation exposure, be present from birth, or occur following eye surgery for other problems. Risk factors include diabetes, smoking tobacco, prolonged exposure to sunlight, and alcohol. Either clumps of protein or yellow-brown pigment may be deposited in the lens reducing the transmission of light to the retina at the back of the eye. Diagnosis is by an eye examination.
How to prevent cataracts, to develop the following six good habits that can help prevent cataracts.
1. Regularly drink green tea. Cataract patients eye lens and aqueous humor levels of vitamin C significantly lower than in healthy people, while the tea is rich in vitamin C, especially green tea better. Study found that for every 100 grams of green tea contains 280 mg of vitamin C, which is 5-6 times of black tea. In all kinds of tea, green tea highest vitamin C content.
2. Vitamin C. Increase with age, nutrient absorption and metabolism gradually decline, lens malnutrition, vitamin C content decreased significantly over time caused by degeneration of the lens, causing cataracts. Therefore, the elderly should eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, adequate intake of vitamin C.
3. Going out wearing dark glasses. UV irradiation by sunlight the longer, the greater the probability of cataracts. Experts suggest that, when they go out wearing dark glasses, you can make the eyes from UV radiation is greatly reduced. After age 60 decreased vision in the elderly, if wearing brown sunglasses, you can prevent further vision loss and prevention of cataracts.
4. Two liters of water a day to drink enough. The case of dehydration of the body, the body fluid will be the normal metabolism disorder, and produce some unusual chemical substances damage the lens of the eye, leading to the occurrence of cataracts; existing cataract patients, the disease can be exacerbated by dehydration. Therefore, once encountered a variety of causes diarrhea, vomiting, or sweating under high temperature conditions, should replenish moisture. Under normal circumstances, drinking water, tea or salt water can order enough to drink two liters a day is appropriate.
5. A little something to drink red wine. Study found that moderate consumption of red wine who will reduce the risk of cataracts by 50%.
6. Eat spinach and kale. Regularly eat foods rich in lutein and zeaxanthin foods (such as spinach, kale, etc.) compared to other people who are less likely to suffer from cataracts.